R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support
Old 05-21-2013, 06:22 PM
AdrianM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950
Recently promoted my CH12 to primary race car after struggling with an inline car for too long. It has been running really well, much better than the other car, but I have a problem with mid-out steering. We run CRC carpet that was recently cleaned using a protocol from CRC, and the bite came up a lot. I am running .020 front springs, 5' reactive caster, 3.8' caster, .5' toe out, .010 droop, 1' camber, soft links in the firm position, 30 wt oil with a red AE spring, tall IRS ball stud in front, Short with 1mm spacer rear, 1mm droop, #3 Shurlube on kingoins and tubes. Most guys are running one brand or another of pink rears and magenta or double pink fronts, but my car seemed best on Ulti J hard fronts and X medium rears, full paragon 30 minute rear and 15 minute fronts. With this set up it was very good for 4 minutes but picked up a slight push center-off around then. Switched to Enetti yellow rears and black fronts and the car was best ever early in practice, but by the first qualifier the car pushed horribly, so I went back to the Ultis. Anyone know how I can add a bit of steering center-off?
I think your car is too stiff in the rear.

Run an AE Blue center spring. Nobody runs much stiffer than that on any 1/12 car.

Make you side links long. The car needs to roll to generate grip.

Use tube lube aroud 7k to 10k. BMI tubes are more precise and tight than others. Running the same damper lube as CRC guys would be too thick.

Ulti X Mediums are very close to Jaco Magenta. I would suggest running Magenta or X-Med all around. Ulti J's are asphalt tires and are not the best they offer on carpet.

Don't sauce the rears as long. They may be warming up mid race and causing your push. The stiff rear would contribute to this heating. Sauce both ends for 10 min.

Reduce your caster to around 2deg.

Run the 10 deg reactive caster block.

Increase negative camber to 1.5 to 1.75deg.

I would do this all at once and start with this as a base setup.