R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC
Old 05-20-2013, 07:19 AM
Paul L
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
ok thanks paul,after a test today its holding around 81/83 c with 40 degrees timing,i geared it down 3 teeth on the pinion and its cooler and has more punch wont know until tomorrows race if its fast enough down the straight with the others
Originally Posted by Bcholka
Hello Paul,
Just curious if your setup from Petit for the XB4 is still current or if you have made any modifications lately? Also wondering what you have found to be the best combination of front/rear tires/inserts for running at TS?
I drive and my son races at TS--We've never met yet but Ill be sure to introduce myself next time I see you ripping laps! I purchased a new XB4 a few months back solely based on watching you drive yours there LOL
Hi. I have a couple different set ups for the XB4 at trackside. honestly i thought my car was best here with the stock set up with just a couple modifications. 500ft scock oil, 10,000 ft diff oil, lowest camber link hole on the rear shock tower, 2line progressive front springs and .5mms more rear toe. I havent really been able to run much lately do to other races and things. i know that the track seems to be changing a bit (getting hard) and people have been liking the pro line Ion's also, hopefully in a couple weeks i will be back to work on it.
As for tires right now i would say a M3 suburb (broke in) in the rear and i make my own fronts out of rears, otherwise you can use a scrub in the front. as for inserts the stock foam is the best right away but after many runs the closed cell will be better. the pro line closed cell will beak in pretty fast in rear tires, but fronts will take many more runs to break in (likely in to your second set of tires with those inserts). All in all i would say to use closed cell in the rear and stuff a full rear foam into the front.

I can help you better at the track when i can look at the car a bit.
Thanks

Originally Posted by fermanracer
Paul its nice to see a pro driver helping out and taking the time to help us regular guys out. you are a great representative of this hobby. your sponsor are very lucky to have you.
, Thanks!

Originally Posted by B00t13g
How did you set your drag brake? As in, what are you looking for from it?
I like more drag brake than most because im not that great at using push brake, I suppose what i am looking for is the proper amount of drag brake for the track, knowing it cant be perfect for every corner do to varying entry speeds and lifting points etc, so I know that in some corners i will lift and still have to stab a bit of push brake, but if tuned right at the majority of corners i can lift when i want and not have to use any push brake. It helps reduce another variable (braking) to driving and i feel it makes me more consistent.

hope that is what you were looking for.

Originally Posted by elee32
+1

Making the step up to Mod from stock, brakes are waaaay more effective, I'm more curious to find how much push brake you actually use and how much drag brake as well...(my spur gears thank you)
Lol. I always use Max brake force in my speedo and my radio, this way i just barely touch the brake and the tires pretty much lock up. Again since i suck at using brakes i use push brake as emergency brake in a sence and give it the smallest stab whan i use it, by having the smallest of movement in to the brake side it again helps me be consistent BC their is no variable of how much brake you use, its pretty much on or off and your finger dosent have to have a great feel in the brake side of the trigger. This is not really normal for other pro drivers from what i have seen though.

The drag brake selected is dependent on variables un known, speedo, Gearing, timing, motor, rotor, track size, motor temp, track layout all will play a role. as with anything though just throw a moderate amount of drag brake at it, 10% is fine and start increasing it or decreasing it to see how you like it.
keep in mind though that more drag brake cam mean a ton more heat, so sometimes i am not able to use as much as i want in fear of things overheating.

[QUOTE=chasingthepack;12167977]well,it didnt work,it smoked out today,went over to a gm and thats stuck at 60c with no change to gearing and its a bit faster.[QUOTE]

Sorry it didn't work out. sometimes you never know. especially if it had a history of getting hot. maybe someday i can make it up to you