R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hanzo3
I have problems with my m05 pro servo not centering. I replaced servos and it still doesn't center. This only happens when I turn left. I checked the screws and I have aluminum steering parts. S9551 servo. Is the stock servo saver a high torque one?
Since you've been a poster on rctech for 6 years, you're not a newbie. So, I'm going to assume that you've done the usual checks to check for binding and whether the servo saver is loose or is getting stuck steering to the left. Most of those things will affect steering both right and left. The Tamiya servo saver, hi torque or not, works pretty well and I used the kit one on my M05s with no problems. Did replace one with a mid size Kimbrough later tho.

It seems that what you mean by "centering" is that in left hand turns the car doesn't want to track straight when you release the steering input. Instead, it wants to keep going left and wants to hook the corner. I think you're looking in the wrong place. This is just my opinion and others may differ, but I believe the fault lies in the front shock angle. With the shocks laid down like that, the front end acts as if it is reacting slowly. This will make the front end want to "hook" the corner. Get the option shock shock tower and stand the shocks up straighter. This solved the problem for me. Another problem this helps to alleviate is the tendency to pull in one direction or another when you put the "hammer" down coming out of corners.

Hope this helps. Tested this out at WCRC in LaMirada and going from the stock location to the second hole from the outside was worth 0.5 sec/lap.

Last edited by Granpa; 05-18-2013 at 10:56 PM. Reason: addition