R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - "Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors
Old 05-15-2013, 08:41 AM
TheHoofmeister
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by TheHoofmeister
The best way for me so far:
- Take the big gear and sand it down till 3.57mm, standard is 3.65mm
- sand down the small gear just till they are smooth
- Use 0.1mm shim on both sides on the outside between the outdrive and gearbox
- use 0.3mm shim under the big gear.

This should give a smooth gear with long life!

Hi JG

Looks like I may well have a new TRF V5 by next Wednesday , my order has just arrived!

I was wondering on how to go about the diff build. I have been reading this forum thread and build guides on petitrc by kentech. Is the V5 diff the same internally as the 417x and if so should i follow your instructions above? If not, what do you recommend for building a strong, reliable and long-lasting diff?

The other question in my mind is regarding the suspension mount setups for the front and rear. The kit comes with separate front and 1 piece rear. I will be starting off running indoor medium-high grip tracks. Will this be okay as I have heard some say to use 1 piece front and separate back for more flex?

Many thanks for any help you can provide on this.
Scott
It's arrived!

Hi Jilles,

Know you're probably busy but any help with the above would be greatly received. I have been looking at setup sheets and it seems that some drivers are using separate front and rear inner suspension mounts so not really sure if to use 1 piece or separate now, all a bit confusing as to what will give what results.

Q for anyone - anyone have or know where i can get the part numbers for the titanium turnbuckles?

Thanks to all