R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Want to get a monster truck need help
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Overdriven
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

You'll get all sorts of opinions asking that loaded question. But I'll throw in some of my experience and I think most will agree. First listed is best in each category.

Toughness: LST, Savage, Revo
Handling: Revo, LST (close 2nd), Savage (more distant third)
Aftermarket parts: Savage + Revo about tied, LST (getting hard to find)
Coolness factor: LST + Revo about tied, Savage

In my opinion, if you can drop the coin the LST is about the best all around MT. Big shocks, big tires, big block, tough, handles good for a MT when raised up, even better when lowered a bit. It really doesn't need much in the way of aftermarket parts to be durable or handle better, etc. Must have upgrades are Bad Ass Creactions (BAC) Link for steering and Dynaminte (or anything other than Losi) engine brace, that's it.

Revo is one of the few Traxxas I actually like. Lightest MT and handles a bit better than an LST, but to get the most out of it there's a bunch of tweaking to do. Lots of aftermarket available, some more necessary than others depending on intended use. My biggest gripes are that it's hard to put a big block in it, squats too much, diff access is a pain and I don't like plastic driveshafts even though they hold up pretty well. I also don't particularly like Traxxas engines, I find they're fine being tuned for about 80% power. Try getting more than that and tuning becomes too tedious chasing needles.

Savage. TVP's are not my cup of tea, but it's a solid truck. Lots of aftermarket to upgrade and customize, pretty stout out of the box though. Handling isnt as good as Revo + LST, but with different TVP's, lowered suspension with tuning and then it's comparable to Revo + LST.

Idk much about Associated MGT's or had any personal experience. But I'd rate it about even with a Savage on all accounts except aftermarket parts support which like the LST is dwindling. There's also the CEN GST, drove one once. Big, heavy mother of a truck, very tough and handles surprisingly well considering. Virtually no aftermarket parts and I'd imagine it's big engine is rather thirsty. Then there's those pesky TVP's.

Tmaxx deserves its own special paragraph. I've owned about a dozen of them, my first was the only new one and it got me back into Rc. So I love them, but each time one finds me I swear it will be my last. They're a fun truck, but need serious money spent in upgrades to be durable. By the time your done your closing in on a LST in terms of cost and it's not as capable of a truck. If you want a blinged out shelf queen for the least amount of cash they're the truck to build though, loads of stuff available. Working on the truck isn't too bad, but some things like bulkheads and diffs are so time consuming it gets really frustrating. Tuning is also more of an issue due to the design of the gas tank which makes it go lean at half tank or less. Bottom line, it can be a fun truck, but its a definite money pit.

Last edited by Overdriven; 05-13-2013 at 08:41 PM.