R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)
Old 05-10-2013, 12:29 PM
sapperc
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks to everyone for all the tips on your experiences with the Driven Productions delrin steering rack.

Got my new TLR steering housing in yesterday. First, I checked the fit of the new stock rack that comes in the kit. There was a small amount of rub between the rack and the back side of the housing. Don't know if this is by design or production flaw, but it really doesn't matter. As we all know the stock parts wear-in rapidly and that tiny bit of initial stick would soon be gone.

I honed the the back side of the Driven Productions delrin rack so that it moved freely by hand in the housing. Using a very fine swiss file, I very lightly honed the inside back of the TLR housing groove. Random imperfections were obvious with the first pass of the file. Final fit was very smooth, bench testing was flawless.

I also lengthened the servo link by three turns to bring the trim adjustment down into a more normal range with the DP rack (it was maxed out to the right before).

Track testing went great. No sticking, very responsive steering. Just like new again. So, it does work, even outdoors in extremely dusty conditions. It takes a lot of tuning by feel to get it to fit, which may or may not be worth the effort if it outlasts the original stock steering rack and housing.

I spent just under $30.00 for parts on this project. That does not include tools, dry lubricant, and sandpaper, which I already had. You can replace the stock TLR rack and housing 3 times for the same price