R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF417
Thread: Tamiya TRF417
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 10:32 PM
narcotiks
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SS LS1
After looking close up at a Raceberry chassis and seeing the top deck is not connected to the Yok motor mount I tried to duplicate it.

I installed .5mm spacers between the top deck and all bulkhead screws (front and rear). Then I put A small piece of foam servo tape on the underside of the top deck directly over the 2 layshaft bearings to keep the spur gear from rocking up and down under throttle. There are no screws attaching the top deck to the motor mount now (and a .5mm gap between them) allowing more flex in the rear of the chassis much like the Raceberry kit.

I also removed the front chassis-to-motor mount screw and installed a longer one in the same location but from the top side of the motor mount down into the chassis hole. Same concept as removing the factory screw and installing a stud like the team drivers do. This helped noticeably to increase rear chassis flex also.

I only ran this setup one race day (before our season ended this year) but on the same track layout I ran my personal best lap times that were .2 sec faster with this setup. Hope it works for you too.
I noticed this also and came up with a smilar idea to yours a little while ago. Ive raised the top deck with 3mm shims and cut some 0.5mm suspension block spacers to lock down the spur gear and then secured it down with screws, problem is there isn't allot of room for the topdeck to flex and the belts could potentially rub on the topdeck. I think even with foam it will still move under flex so you might not be getting the best results. I'm Currentely in the process of making some low profile screws so the top deck can be lowered while still having a large gap to flex between the motor mount. Ive been running the grub screw in the motor mount basically since I first ran the v5, this alone helped.
If you look at the bd7, there is a large gap for the top deck to flex without hitting anything
I haven't had a chance to test it yet, iv'e been too busy with school, but im even more excited to try it now after hearing your results ill post pics and results soon! I also suggest you get your front rear and left right balance within 10 grams of eachother by moving the battery weight stopper further out, this will improve the handling consistency of the car with the new flex