R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 6MIK buggy tires - Official Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Imbue
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wombat
Just my take on this:

The main problem I think they will encounter (not just in the US market but globally in general) is trying to get in on some market share given the vast range/choice of tires that have flooded the market from various manufacturers. They would have to probably hook-up/sponsor a reasonably decent well known driver if they want any chance to succeed.
Despite there being a vast majority of tires out they're, they're almost all exclusively block pattern treads, and are variants of each other. I think there's a gap in tread design that 6MIK will fill nicely. In terms of hooking up with a well known driver, we're always pursuing top level racers, as well as grassroots racers.

Take a look at Alpha Racing Tires (a European company - French I think) for example, they didn't last very long on the US market at all with it shutting up shop within a year or two of entering the US (the distributor - not the company). They made decent tyres and wheels (pre-mounts) but just never took off - left-over stock has been flogged off on ebay ever since.
Without actually working for ART's distributor, it's hard to know why they folded. To try and peg a reason why, would be nothing more than pure speculation. In my mind, it's hard to equate ART's scenario with ours.

Not to sound pessimistic, and I do wish the company good luck in their endeavours, but it really is a case of just re-hashing something that is already out there for the masses to purchase - it'll be a tough gig in what has to be the toughest market segment to crack into (buggy tire market) given the amount of companies offering this sort of thing.
Is it really rehashing though? I could imagine applying that term if the tires were simply block treads.

I would have thought, for a start, that they should get rid of the slotted dish wheel and go for a more traditional closed dish wheel for the US (and other) markets - you rarely see anyone run slotted/spoked rims anymore (aas opposed to say 5-7 years ago) even in Europe (where they tended to run this style of wheel more)
The slotted and spoked rims of yesteryear are gone. 6MIK's Fusion lineup of rims are something completely different. In a sea of boring dish rims, it's nice to see something unique. I do suspect there are some benefits with 6MIK's slotted design however, notably being better in the rough, while still maintaining a sturdy and consistent rim.
Up.