R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RC Crew Chief Software
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 PM
Reese Bobby
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by narcotiks
Hey Bob, do you have any measure of how much lower the CG is with short shocks? Is it, in your opinion, a negligible amount?
I just weighed a TRF shock without a spring but with the large diameter retainer (with oil) and it was 9.5 grams, so roughly 40 grams for 4 shocks without springs, lowered 2-4mm BUT at the expense of less damper travel and usually the use of shorter springs... what are your thoughts?
Hi narcotiks, I am with you on this one and have the same question. I however also think that races are won and lost based on the small percentage differences between chassis, setups and driving. For example a race might cover 20 laps. If one finds a 0.1 second improvement per lap then one has a two second advantage over a competitor at the end of the race, which is significant.

I think we generally place too much emphasis on having the best of everything equipment wise instead of focusing on the driving. Running wide on a corner will cost one 0.2s which negates the advantage of having the best of the best. Dont get we wrong the right equipment is very important but overall ones driving ability will make a bigger difference in my eyes.

Others thoughts?