R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by zambo
Hi, i'm buying some tamiya trf 54000 shocks. They come with blue, yellow and red springs. The blue and yellow are in white color and seems shorter that the red one. Should i also need to buy the 53333 item short springs set? Or those short springs are the same includes in the trf shocks?
Basically the same spring tension. I purchased two #54000 sets and the springs that came in my examples were white and color coded with a small colored dot. The springs in the #53333 set, which I use almost exclusively now, are a bit longer and much softer. They are called a short spring set cause they were made for TC. Because they are longer, you'll find the shock collars stay more to the top of the shock instead of screwed halfway down like you do with the shorter Mini springs. The regular TC springs with the equivalent spring rates is the # 53163 and can be used on the front when you need more ride height.

Originally Posted by bribtb
Granpa, so how do you measure coopers droop? Is it just below where it sags?

Brian
Brian, I don't measure droop on a Mini. It is a difficult and, frankly, inaccurate and meaningless project. I measure the shock length which is more accurate and so much easier to do. Short shocks equals less droop, longer shocks more droop. Also, you will rarely have to lengthen a front shock, except when you want to induce more roll on corner entry and mid corner.

Also, while I'm here, Steve from R1 Wurks was at the track today with his latest fan. It's a 30mm unit, a little taller than the other fans on the market, but the big difference is, this unit pumps some air. I bought 3 on the spot and Chuck Leslie, 3rd at last years Nats, bought 6. Rod Canare, a 2 time TCS TC Japan trip winner, tested a unit and said it brought his motor temps down about 20 degrees in his TC. I only mentioned the above 2 guys cause they have the racing credos, that yours truly doesn't. Also, it is possible to win 2 Japan trips cause they changed the rules last season.

The R1 cvds are a quality unit. Almost all the guys here use them in practice and switch them out for the Tamiya units for a TCS race. Gotta be legal you know. Better and $5 to 10 less costly. I just got another set for my new M03M so they must be back in stock at the shops or direct from R1 Wurks.