R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Touring Car Tire Advice - General Asphalt Tire Recommendation
Old 04-17-2013, 10:47 PM
JeepnMike
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DIALED
If you're running on dusty, unsealed asphalt, you should definitely be getting more than 4 runs--even with a 6000kv motor
Here are some things to consider:

1. For your situation, an uber-sticky tire isn't your best bet--as they will quickly glaze over AND wear out quickly. 32-36c will work best.
2. Soft inserts can help, but not a lot--as the tire needs adequate support to maintain a consistent contact patch.
3. A soft wheel allows the tire to conform to the road surface and absorb bumps. But a firm wheel forces the tire to work.

*What you're after is a balance b/t insert size/shape/density and rim stiffness.

Most companies shift this balance towards more performance and quicker wear. This allows them to make more from less--and to sell more tires.
If you'd like something a little more specialized than the garden-variety premounts, RCSpeedshop.net has a ton of premounted options that fit your bill.

Feel free to PM me with specific questions...

Brett
Thank you for the replies guys! I should say that with my motor and chassis, you can't really help but slide so my initial set of tires I did spend plenty of time driving like a yahoo sideways with the throttle pegged. I have spent about a pack (5000mah 40c) with the new HPI Super Drift 4402 tires, and it is fun in it's own right, but I do want to learn to drive on a track and maybe show up one of these days hopefully not in anybody's way, and not clueless either.

I may just try a set of XPatterns and try to not drive like a tool and see how long they last and go from there. The pavement I am driving on (for now anyway) is just the usual suburbia stuff in front of your house.

Thanks again for the replies