R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Dave H
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by F1Yankee
the clamping force is distributed over fewer points of contact, but then a greater clamping force is required to not slip over those fewer points. if the balls are located at a shorter radius from the axle's axis, the torque applied by the gear through the balls is greater, requiring more clamping force again. you go ahead and do what you feel makes you faster, but the laws of physics say more balls at a greater radius is better.

why would it spin more freely? if the gear pitch is the same and the only other points of contact are the same outdrive bearings, what is there to be different? if the outdrives are contacting the 22 gear, then add that to the list of lousy 22 diff parts, along with the screw, thrust, nut and spring.
More freely? There are at least a couple counter acting considerations. The balls at a smaller radii generate less torque to an extent. The silicone viscous damping, which I believe is a significant part of diff action, including the amount used, is speed-strain rate sensitive, less there at the smaller radii. Seems to at least come close if not more than offset any impact of the tightness assuming good balls are used.

To be honest I tried it mostly because of parts I had laying around. Seems to work fine. But either way, no biggie.