R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - F1 or Touring Car? Tough decision
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 03:07 PM
eddiemoney13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital
Just some of my experience between the 2. May not all be applicable to your situation or your local track(s).
  • F1 seems to go in cycles. It will be really big, then die off, then come back. TC is always there.
  • TC chassis can be used in 17.5 TC, USGT, VTA, mod TC, etc. It gives you more options down the road.
  • TC is more complicated from a setup and tuning perspective, but it also has more adjustability for your driving style.
  • I see a lot more ill handling F1's then TC's.
  • Spec tire may or may not have an impact to you on one or both classes.
  • F1's seem more fragile, but are usually moving at a slower speed so breakage is less. A lot depends on the chassis choice for both F1 and TC when it comes to durability.
  • F1 seems to be a base kit requiring a lot of upgrades to be competitive. A quality TC is usually more expensive, but depending on the choice, may need little to no upgrades to be at the same point. Example would be a stock F104 as a relatively inexpensive kit, but a lot of breakable plastic parts (rear pod) compared to even an entry level Spec R1 or even the full competition version.
  • Motor and ESC should be similar (17.5 vs 21.5 probably) both running blinky.

Myself, I would go watch a couple races and see what the people are like. Which crowd (if they are seperate) you mesh with as these are the people you will race with. If they are welcome to new people and/or super competitive, etc. Getting to know those people will help you make the right decision for you, and be a good source of input for which car and equip to get as well.

Just my opinions.
Excellent points here, thanks. I think will all the feedback I'm getting, I think I'll jump in to 17.5 blinky TC. Seems to make more sense for my situation. Funny that you mentioned the Spec-R car because I've been leaning towards either that or the Sakura Zero S to start off.
If I were to go the F1 route, I was pretty much sold on the F104 v2 pro.