R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/10th scale dying?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 08:19 AM
orcadigital
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pablo040
Not sure where you're racing offroad, but with few exceptions I've never been anywhere in recent years that 1/8th scale outdrew 1/10th scale. Especially since the advent of BL motors and LiPO batteries, where even nitro guys have converted over to 1/8th E-cars, 1/10th scale is always been more popular.
Not sure where the OP is, but in GA, 10th scale offroad is definitely declining. Most of our offroad tracks are 1/8th scale and the 10th scales just don't do as well, handling, jumping, or durability.

1st series race started this past weekend (I was attending an onroad race and missed it). They had 94 entries. Breakdown as follows:

1/8th E-Buggy: 23
1/8th Pro Buggy: 12
1/8th Pro Truggy: 17
1/8th Sportsman Buggy: 23
2WD Buggy: 6
2WD SCT: 9
4WD SCT: 4
Total: 94

I think as costs of 10th scales have increased, it has minimized the disparity between the sizes. Add in the durability, and tracks that are built for the larger vehicles, and it makes a bigger draw. State offroad series starts in a couple weeks and we will see how it goes. I will be running 1/8th ebuggy and possibly 2wd 1/10th buggy.

1/10th scale onroad still seems strong as ever though. Maybe not in pan cars, but touring cars are still ripping and roaring out here between VTA and TC.