R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Need Help with sc10 questions please!
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Cpt.America
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rc-007
Thanks for the many answers! I want a truck that would be competitive and has lots of parts availability and the sc10 is $199 and my Lhs has plenty of ae parts. I don't mind starting out with a brushed motor, and I can always upgrade. I don't know about the slash and its a little but more $. Is the slash race worthy? I've read many things saying slash for bashing sc10 for racing. Is it a better racing truck than the sc10? Sorry just so many questions
If your goal really is to race, then honestly none of these are the best recommendations in my opinion. A discontinued brushed setup will be a total waste of money before too long. Traxxas, while durable, is not a race truck and you will end up buying an SC10 later anyway. The SC10 RS while a great truck with better RTR electronics, tends to be too fast for the stock class, once you get out of novice.

The BEST recommendation I can make, is to take advantage of the AWEFUL resell value of used RC gear, and piece together a used race kit. Get an SC10 Factory team, as they can be had for around $120 for a kit with some spares (cheaper even, now that the .2s are all coming out), get yourself a used Tekin RS speedo, and a used 17.5 brushless motor, and find a decent used radio, and you will be set. You WONT be race ready for $200 no matter what.

Start with your local track, and the for-sale threads here on RCtech are good, as long as you stay weary of the scammers. (feel free to PM me if you need an opinion on a "do i buy" or "do i not buy", in the for sale threads).

-Cpt.