R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray T4 '13
Thread: Xray T4 '13
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Skiddins
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by samnelso
I'm not sure how the below aligns with theory, but it's my personal experience. Also note that my exp. is limited to carpet.

Modified magnifies all setup changes. There are many times in stock that I make a change and want to notice a difference, but honestly don't. In mod, that same change will make a difference and will be noticed.

My feeling is the gear diff allows me get into and through the mid of the corner more efficiently. Off-power steering seems greatly increased. For me, steering is king in mod and i'm always looking for more, particularly off power or under braking where tremendous amounts of weight is transferred to the front and the steering needs to get to work, quickly. From my experience in mod, albeit limited, most of my time in a turn can be gained getting into and through the middle of the corner. I'm waiting to get through the corner just enough so I can get back on the power and the longer I have to wait, the slower the lap is. The power of the mod will finish the exit of the corner off pretty consistently and I don't feel much time lost there. The gear diff also seems to aid in settling the car on-power on corner exit. Same holds true, but to a lesser degree, in 13.5. 17.5, i've never ran a gear diff, but don't see a need as i usually have plenty of steering and don't want to loose the forward traction of the spool. In 17.5 there usually isn't an issue getting into a corner fast, so that seemingly negates the advantage of the gear diff.
What oil have you run in the front diff?