R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 07:29 PM
VooDooPH
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Granpa;11997039]
Originally Posted by fvrr

The 53070 is the Manta Ray diff, the 53267 is the TA03 diff. Similar, but different. Now there may be pundits who will say that one is superior to the other and pontificate in great detail why, but I defy anyone to be able to tell if a Mini has a Manta Ray diff or a TA03 diff, by driving it.

Now, having said that, I do prefer the TA03 diff only cause it's easier to build. The TA03 diff has a one piece thrust bearing and the last Manta Ray diff in my experience has a thrust bearing you have to assemble. Drop one of those tiny thrust bearing balls and you're up the creek without a canoe or paddle.
not sure if the thrust bearing balls on the Manta Ray are removable from the plate they're attached to... at least based on the pictures i saw. pretty much looks the same as the thrust bearings off the F103 (3 piece unit)...

interesting thing though are the outdrives as they look harder than the one from the TA03 diff (black vs silver)... anyone can confirm if the one's off the Manta Ray are steel?