R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)
Old 03-31-2013, 10:14 AM
slodustin
Tech Adept

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I need to get this out of my head. Why are you suppose to break in a tlr ball diff? You have hardened rings against hardened balls. Is breaking in suppose to mean your wearing a groove in with the balls into the rings? If so why on earth would you want that? Are we breaking in the thrust assembly? Certainly don't want that because it just breaks anyway! The only other thing I can think of is that you are taking the initial spring tension out, which should be done when first assembling with a pair of plyers.

All my ae cars I just put the diff together set my spring tention and off to the races with no "breaking in" process and would have great performance out of them For long periods of time between rebuilds. In fact I NEVER had one come apart on me.

I realize I'm talking about two different companies, and each has their own quarks. I love the handling of my tlr and most likly will never give it up. The only other thing I don't care for is when I'm coming into a corner and the pack is behind me and I go into a turn, but the car goes straight cause the rack binds up, and the field goes right on by! This has happened numerous times. I feel like we should'nt have to replace the the rack like it's a consumable part. Great theory, and it's the reason the truck turns so well, but lousy design and material choice.