R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 01:35 AM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Thanks guys for all your input
I actually followed what my Driver said and we took a ride over to our local
shop and talked with the owner. He pointed out that his Diff needs to be repacked
that it is wayyyy too loose and he seems to think that the reason why he is loosing
power on the turns is that one drive wheel is coming off the ground slightly
so he got parts and I got alot of work to do!
We did pick up the Front Shock part that you mentioned Grandpa as wellas the
Aluminum Hex for the wheels
I know about breaking in the silvercan and don't think thats too much of an issue
but going to try plopping in a spare Johnson that we have in our motor pool
and see what that does after installing all these parts and repacking the gear diff
with stiffer grease.
I'll let everyone know how we made out when Im done
Again Thank You Guys!!!
Mike
Good grief, DO NOT pack a Tamiya Mini gear diff with grease. Nothing good can happen or will happen. You tighten up diff action by adding extra shims and various incantations or magic spells. Building a snug to tight gear diff is an art form and is mastered by very few. There are many that think they've mastered the 'trick" to building a good gear diff, but they are delusional.

Thus, my recommendation has always been a TA03 ball diff. If you follow the directions that came with the diff, add antiwear grease to the diff balls, and loctite and tighten the diff screw all the way down, you'll have near perfect diff every time. There are a few tricks for these diffs, but most have been posted at one time or another and are pretty well known.