R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)
Old 03-28-2013, 09:16 AM
lewi007
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
Do you have a track with experiened racers near you? Honestly there is so much feel in building a ball diff it is a huge help to have someone walk you through the build and setting process to see how tight they initially set there ball diff prior to setting the slipper and how to check it after the first few runs to make sure you can get the ball diff setup properly so it survives break in and if you can get it broken in properly and get the slipper set properly it should last you a while but with all that said your SCT will be probably the hardest car on a ball diff due to the weight and size of the tires of any 2wd RC.
Thanks for the reply back Casper. There are experienced racers, and they all have said switch to gear diff. LOL! I did however get a lesson on slipper clutch setting. Very informative and dooley noted. I won't forget. I got my slipper set correctly and then measured the bolt distance that was portruding past the slipper nut so at least I have a starting point. But this was after I barked my gear diff. so we'll see how long it lasts! I suppose my issue was not tightening the ball diff. down enough, barking it & in the process glazing my pads while setting my slipper. Before I had the slipper lesson I tempd my motor and it was hotter than ever before, 160, yikes (19 pinion, 84 spur. 6.5 turn) normally around 120 degrees. Lesson learned, slipper is very important, learn to do it or have Mark from GofastRacing (Batavia Ohio) set it for me. I prefer to learn to do it myself, hate bothering folks if I don't have to, they want to race too! What I have found is that it is extremely hard to listen to your motor/diff and slipper on the track when everone is racing. Hearing is pramount but it's all about the feel. I just haven't honed in my super jedi rc feeling powers yet.