R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray T4 '13
Thread: Xray T4 '13
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 PM
snuvet75
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by rustlerboi1052
Just ran my T4 for the first time today.

I used the included baseline carpet setup included with the kit. I was running on a short indoor carpet track with no groove set in yet. CS-22 tires.

Having on-power understeer and off power oversteer. First I decreased rear droop and then subsequently took out the rear ARB. I didn't see any large improvements. I wonder what to change next... I wouldn't be so concerned, but I feel I'm pretty far off a stable car with the stock setup.
I think there are a few solutions or suggestions I should say. I would try one of these. I'm sure you know all of these but I'm just trying to help.

1. I would just play with shock positions first. More upright in the rear and more progressive in the front will change the way your car acts dramatically. This is the easiest and fastest way to play around and I found it extremely effective in many occasions.

2. Provided that your car accelerates and breaks ok w/o loosing grip, I would put some anti squat in the rear. I honestly don't know what stock set up is like in T4 but if there isn't any, it should help a lot. On on-power, your car's rear sits down and provides more grip. Then your car wants to turn in wider angle due to the traction provided by the sitting of the rear. This is natural. But if you put anti-squat, the car resists to squat in the rear meaning that it will provide not as much grip in the rear leading to more oversteer than when there isn't any anti squat. On off-power(or breaking), the opposite happens causing loose rear end(oversteer). To reduce this, you also put anti squat because the rear end will not stand up as fast as when there isn't any anti squat.
I would not touch the front dive at first. But you can try Anti Dive with anti squat. Make sure to change your caster to apply the pure effect of anti dive. I just would not touch this. Too much hassle.

3. Similar effect can be acheived by putting harder springs or harder damping in the rear. I would not touch the front spring or pistons until you've tried different rear set ups. I'm telling you from my experience cuz I've tried so many different setting and none of them yielded good result and made me confused. Well maybe you'll have better luck than mine

4. You can shorten wheel base for faster steering response but it doesn't usually give you the solution to the problem.

5. Wider rear track width increases traction in the rear under braking and under off power steering so that the car understeers.

Again, shock position can be easily changed and you will see a noticible difference. I'd try it first and move on to anti squat. I used to have same exact problem and solved it with combination of both two. I'd make sure to try ONE AT A TIME.