R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Click track
Thread: Click track
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 05:40 PM
IndyRC_Racer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I race at a facility with clik-trak and it is by no means a perfect solution. Since it is plastic it can break. The basic kit you can get from CRC may not come with enough pieces to make the layout you want. You may need to buy extra pieces or a larger kit. Another thing is that the straight pieces only come in 5 foot or 10 foot sections, which may not fit the type of layout a facility might want to run.

If you have a small indoor carpet road course track, you may find that you have to compromise your layouts to accomodate the limitations of the clik-trak. This may equate to wasted space in the layout or overly simplistic layouts due to limitations of the pieces. You will find custom made barriers (2x4 or wood)allow most tracks a wider variety of layouts.

I think the best solution may be to buy clik-trak and modify the pieces (make shorter straights for example) to best fit your facility. For example, trying to build a decent sweeper with clik-trak at a smaller facility can be an issue.

Here is a link to a VTA race at the track a race at. You can see the compromise in the corners when using clik-trak (almost 90 degree fast corners), but it allows for around 10 second laps. When the facility uses more forgiving fast corners, the lap time drop to about 8 seconds in VTA, which doesn't promote good racing or interesting layouts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugkPAUS8NgA
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

------------

My comments above aren't to suggest not buying clik-trak, as it is a quality product that works very well for road-course racing.

I would suggest visiting/contacting facilities similar to yours that are using clik-trak. They should be able to let you know how it works for them.