R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Chassis flex
Thread: Chassis flex
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 06:22 AM
narcotiks
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
Think of your car as a mass at the centre of mass, suspended by four (mass-less) suspension arms that reach out to the tyres.

I'm sure you can imagine that if the chassis is softer, it is making that "virtual" suspension arm between the centre of mass and the tyre softer. A softer suspension arm acts like a softer spring/damper unit. Hence the feeling of more "grip" from a softer chassis.
I dont quite understand this concept or the use of 'softer'

Originally Posted by slotracer577
Softer means less weight transfer,thus more grip. Traction is normal force x coefficient of friction. Problem is tires are only linear within a certain range do normal forces. Beyond a certain point they make no more grip. So once you get to that point more weight transfer removes grip. A lot of people confuse roll with weight transfer. Then are not the same an are almost opposite.
I dont understand the concept of 'softer'
What is 'softer'?, assuming the same thickness chassis, removing a brace from the chassis(solid to split block) doesn't make it any 'softer'.If you go to a split block in the front from a solid block it allows the front end to twist more under cornering forces in relation to the rear of the car, it doesn't make anything softer