R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Columbia County Area, RC Enthusiasts
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 06:48 AM
RC_Woody
Tech Regular

Diane, I hadn't heard about SMC in a long while. I was just stumbled on them when I was doing some research on C rating. I liked what he was doing. I liked the concept that he is ordering them from China, basically like everyone else, but he actually have a QA process himself to make sure they are to his spec.

I think some of these shops may just slap'em together and ship them out the door. He also seems to have reasonable priced packs. There seems to be a good range for all budgets. If you want the ultra spendy, I just feel you are paying for his QA standard highest quality. Batteries are a funny business, because there are so many variables, but the main one I find, is racer care. Slow/fast charge, balancing, running to lvc, each battery seems to be a little different and what works for one battery doesn't always work for another. Not to mention motors that demand more and more amps, which seems to reach the limits of 2 cell packs.

On the 1/8th scales. Yeah right now the track is pretty dominated by them. There are still a few 1/10 scales and Mary is running a 1/10th 4x4 SCTE. I'm still keeping mine as well. Right now with the weather the way it is I think its mainly the die-hards running when they can. I have a feeling that in the spring/summer 1/10th scale will pick back up. I know personally I plan on not throwing my 1/8th scale on the track with a bunch of 1/10 scales out there too. I would feel too bad breaking somebody's new spendy toy. I know it happens and nobody tries to do it, but skill levels vary, and some of these 1/8th scales are probably pushing 9lbs. Accidents with smaller vehicles are bound to cause breakage. Its just part of the hobby and it happens all the time. It doesn't mean I don't to do my part and be responsible in limiting exposure that cause those conditions. Hey we are out there to have fun, and I want everybody to have as much fun as possible!

Well I will try to post up pics when I can, and figure out how to do the thumbnail pic thing. I hope you and Don can make it out on occasion and come join us in some fun!