R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Reedy Sonic
Thread: Reedy Sonic
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Radi0Flyer
Tech Regular

I ran my new CRC Xti for the first time yesterday. 13.5 on 1s blinky, 36/80 gearing. Yes I was undergeared, it was supposed to just be a shakedown day.

First run, no timing anywhere, the car was actually faster than I thought it would be on our tight track. After 20+ minutes the motor never even reached a noticeable temperature change. (using the hold-it-in-your-fingers method)

Second run, half the static timing available on the motor, still blinky mode. Only ran for about ten minutes, car was a bit faster, still barely any temperature increase. Pulled the car in to advance to full static timing.

Third run, full static timing, no ESC timing or boost. Car was now coming alive nicely, handling better with more speed. After ten minutes the motor was barely warm.

Ran it this way for several charge cycles (6200 mAh battery) and when I got a good lap I was running with the fast guys who were there. The motor was never more than barely warm, and neither was the ESC.

Later in the day I decided to see what all the fuss was about ESC timing and boost as I am essentially new to brushless motors. Well fack me! Everything maxed out, the car was stupid fast. Rear tires were losing traction on acceleration on the old worn out carpet and I really could not control that much speed, not at the level I'm currently at anyway. Did my best to run it for at least five minutes to see how hot the motor would be. Well it had some heat in it now but I could still hold it in my fingers without letting it go. (and it wasn't uncomfortably warm) I understand I was severely undergeared (if I was running blinky let's say) but realistically I couldn't use all the speed it was giving me anyway so under the circumstances I saw no need to gear it up.

All in all, I really like this motor. It loves timing and ran cool all day for me. It lets me run at a decent practice pace and still has a lot of speed that I can tap into if I want. Also, I read about some of the strange noises others have reported from the motor but I never heard peep from it. My car was extremely quiet on the track.

Sean