R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TC6 4WS
Thread: TC6 4WS
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 12:28 PM
wtcc
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 4WS comparison with W.C.

I just came home from my clubtrack in Senden.
As I my 4WS is waiting for new parts (the cfk arrived today and I sent it to my miller), I used the day to compare my prototype with Team Associateds TC6 W.C.. The W.C. is my usual racecar and has already clinched several podium places this season. So I thought it would be the perfect candidate to compare laptimes with my 4WS.

I equipped it with the same motor, esc and tires (esc an tires are the same I use for the races) and did my first laps since a month with a "normal" TC. The first run wasn't easy at all. I had my hands full to keep it on track. The car showed in comparison a lot of understeer and didn't want to turn in. The laptimes showed that this car needed some tweaks. The car usually runs in a 17.5t-class so it is clear that I have to do something to make the car better for the installed 10.5t motor. So I did what I had to do and made the car better from run to run. At the end of the day the car was nice to drive and well adjusted.
Still I couldn't beat my laptime driven with the 4 WS. I was always one tenth behind...

The spotted differences are:
1. The corner entry with the 4WS is easier and faster.
2. To carry the speed through the corner is easier with rear steering, because there is no breaking effect from the turned front tires.
3. The corner exit is quicker as the rear steering allows you to accelerate earlier, because the rear tires provide extra steering (the car weight shifts to the rear tires while accelerating).
4. Today I also took a special look at the tires: The front right tire of the W.C. got much more worn then it was the case with the 4WS. In the end I can say that the rear steering takes away the pressure on the front outside tires on every corner realizing a reduced and/or equated tire wear.

I was surprised myself to have found so many positive aspects today. As you can see they "only" made one tenth difference a lap, but on track it feels much different. Now I am very excited how the 4WS will perform with the new parts as I believe I could find another two tenth a lap with the added adjustment possibilities!