R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New 1:8 Body from PROTOform: the PFL128
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 AM
JLock
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrodude
I really dont understand the people that want the bodies to look "realistic". The Audi R18 is not realistic at all, you dont see them drive them on the street by civilians, do you? They are based on a class of race cars on which the only resemblance to a "real" car is the fact that they have 4 tires, and engine and a steering wheel and pedals, thats it. The rest of them is made purely to go as fast as possible, same as out 1/8th cars. What was "real" about the CanAm cars in the 70s? They were moving labs...
Funny you say this (which we are in total agreement). I occasionally watch LeMans races when I can. One of the classes that I pay very close attention is the prototype class. And, it is not due to their "realistic" look because you don't see any cars on the road that even remotely resembling them. I like watching them because of their speed and the daredevil attitudes that the drivers of those cars have (doing things and making passes no sane racer would ever try).

Everyone forgets that NASCAR has morphed from using real cars (that you could buy off the showroom floor back from the early days until the 1980s and we called them Stock cars) to a universal body design with realistic stickers of the 1990s and 2000s (a body design that no Ford, Chevy, and eventually Dodge uses in the civilian market; also where can you find a 2-door Impala, Fusion, or Charger?), now morphing to a more realistic-looking car but still not the real thing (with this new Gen 6 design). In all honesty, we watch racing for the thrill of speed and spectacular crashes, not for how real the cars look.