R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Why do AKA SC tyres come with foams?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 06:52 AM
ifuonlyknew
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whittie
This is not a whinge thread - it's a genuine query that I couldn't find anywhere else on an internet search.

Most of you seem to be missing the point: The cost is irrelevant in this question - it's a matter of waste. Why buy foams with every new set of tyres when I don't need them. At a set of tyres per race meet (20 minutes track time), it's wasteful enough, why throw away more? I see where a lot of you are coming from with "sell them" but where I'm racing I can't give them away - everyone else is in the same position.

Let's put AKA aside, Proline etc are the same (the only manufacturers I have experience with) and except for Hot Boddies (who charge the same regardless) they seem to all be the same.

Except for one response, the one I agree with, that SC is the 'cash cow' why do manufacturers do this?

Now if I want to use AKA medium foams I have to buy 2 sets of foams per pair of tyres????
Sell them on here. At least the inserts can be used for SC or 1/8th scale. In your for sale thread explain why you are selling them, and you will move them quickly.

Everything that manufactures do with products for SC trucks is to maximize their profits and to cater to the majority of SC guys. You are in a special situation. Most of the time by the time a set of tires are worn out, the foams are shot too. There is always that fine line that the track owner has to walk. Little traction and no tire wear and everyone complains about the lack of traction. High traction and high tire wear and people complain about wearing out tires. If you are racing on dirt, maybe see if they can and some sand in next time they change the track. It will make the dirt hold together less, and hopefully cut down on tire wear. Or run the track wet.

Where are you from, and where do you race?