Thread: TC6 4WS
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 08:35 AM
wtcc
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default The second revision.

And I hope this will be the last one

After two days of intense testing with the actual car I can say with confidence that the 4WS is at least as fast as any other TC out there. For me it offers the option to gain more steering and/or a better balance just by doing little changes with the rear steering. Now that the car nearly reached the maturity phase I used all collected information to redesign every prototype part of the car.

This is the result:

Now the details. Like I mentioned before I forgot the camberlink holes on the shocktower. So I added them and did a complete redesign to both towers. The rear tower lost the outer two holes for the shock because I never used them or saw a team driver use them. This has the effect that the shocktower can be a little more narrow to be out of the way of the rear camberlink when the shock is fully compressed. With the lowered shocktower the car is 8mm lower (TC6=64,5mm; 4WS=56,5mm).

Front shocktower:

Rear shocktower:

from behind:

Lets take a look at the servo and its surrounding:

Servos always have these big holes (5mm diameter) instead the 3mm I would need for the screws. To prevent any movement I designed an insert to fit the holes in the servo. It has two threads and allows to mount the servo to the spurgearbulkhead without having the spurgearbulkhead bend like it could happen on my previousdesign:

The spurgearbulkheads got a new design because of the new servo mounting, a lowered servo (it now sits on the chassis) and a little finetuning with the belttension.

Spurgearbulkhead, right:

Spurgearbulkhead, left:

I also changed the LiPo-brace for two (or more) reasons:
1. a rear brace can also be used to secure the servo, protect it in impacts and limit the servomovement under load to zero
2. the shorty is now hold in place by three elements and is secured better.

The chassis itself changed not, but the positions of the drill holes changed a lot:

New are two maintenance holes below the right spurgearbulkhead to be able to unscrew or check the screws that secure the servo.

Now I hope I didn't make an error. If you guys see something strange please tell me. I will look at it some more and then order some cfk.

I think with these ideas the car will be bulletproof and offer the full variety of setup possibilities. In about 3-4 weeks the car will have the new parts. Then I will again focus on setup and later prove its abilities in a race.

Edit: What I am wondering right now. If it would be possible to use a one-way or spool in the rear?