R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Just bought Impulse 31 Deep V
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
marvinbeaverdip
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pintobean11
42 views and no responses at all. Is this forum that dead?
pretty much. I had the same luck years ago when I asked a question. It's pretty much just active in car stuff. Wish I had an answer for you, I like boats but don't have the time or space to run them. I have an old Villian to putz around with when we're at the lake.
To answer your question about Lipos though, you're going to be looking at voltage, capacity (4000mah is a nice start), but equally important is the C rating. I think a minimum for a boat should be 30C, the higher the C rating the more amperage it can deliver. For cars, at least, 30 is a pretty good minimum, unless they're the mini scale ones which are fine with 20-25C. I've had good luck with the cheaper chinese Lipos like Turnigy and Blue Lipos. Unless you're racing cars and need a legal battery, you don't really need the high end batts.
With the higher capacity batteries, so comes the size. Unlike nicad or nimh, as the capacity goes up (not the voltage), so does the size. Just make sure whatever you buy can fit into the battery tray in your boat.