R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Granpa
This question seems to get asked every 5 pages or so. Opinions vary, but I've got my M05 race Mini sitting in front of me and this is what it has. In one of it's last races it finished second with me driving, which is a big handicap. Also it had a box stock Silvercan, TQ'd, fastest lap, and the winner was using a Red Dot motor. In short the car is really fast.

1. Ball Bearings
2. TA03 ball diff
3. R1 Wurks universals
4. TRF shock
5. Option front shock mount
6. Rear roll bar
7. Aluminum front steering uprights
8. Tamiya aluminum steering and motor mount
9. M05 battery holder off set 6mm to the right. M03 holder on the left
10. Adjustable rear camber links
11. #53333 short TC spring set yellow front blue rears
12. Sweep 33 premounts.

This car started out as a regular kit and not as one of the option kits. I don't think I missed anything. For the TCS purists, just substitute a Tamiya part for #2 and 12 and you'll be TCS legal. I routinely run the R1 Wurks universals for all my races and practice except for the TCS events.

For those interested, Speedtech and TQ stock the R1 stuff.
Sometimes when you post stuff like this, it gets misinterpreted. This particular car did not start out looking like this, but was one that evolved. It was built out of the box except for bearings and TRF shocks which were on it from day one. Just thought it might be of interest to some as to how it evolved and why each bit is on there. And, no, you don't absolutely need all this stuff.

1. No explanation needed
2. A good gear diff is very difficult to build and I must emphasize the word good. The M05 ball diff was tried and was good, but i preferred the TA03 one.
3. Hit something and lost the dog bone.
4. Again no explanation needed.
5. Stock shock angle does not give enough steering. Too lazy
6. For my car, it settled down the rear end
7. Hit something and bent the stock one and lost the damned dog bone again
8. Hit something and bent the steering stuff. Motor runs hot in the M05 so used the aluminum motor mount for cooling. Helped a little.
9. Helps to balance the car, but the main reason was to keep the battery wires from bulging out the body.
10, 11, and 12 should need no explanation.

I just provided a list of stuff on my car and in this post, gave you the reasons they were there. If you don't hit anything, there are a few things on my list you don't need. if you're happy with the steering, don't need the front shock mount. If you know how to build a good gear diff, why use a ball diff. If the ass end of your car doesn't get loose, leave off the roll bar. If you don't care if the battery wires push the body out, don't bother offsetting the battery. And so on.

I don't expect anyone to run out and duplicate this car. Nor do I expect anyone to agree with my reasoning.