Old 02-05-2013, 01:39 AM
skyball
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NItrox416
Hi guys,
1) new tamiya lower deck with trf floating servo mount
2) smokem 417mx with 417ctr smokem floating servo mount
Which one would you suggest me?
I had the same idea some weeks ago, when the 417V5 wasn't available, so i got the smokem 417mx plus servo mount. I'm quite satisfied with it. The quality is superb (they claim to use the same carbon fiber that Tamiya uses) and the car is feeling a bit more consistent on high grip carpet than with the original 417X chassis. An advantage of the smokem servo mount over the tamiya one is, that it also fit's the original 417X chassis, in case you'd want to use that again during the "asphalt season".

On the other hand I can't really say anything about the tamiya chassis, for i haven't used it. "Specwise" it seems very, very similar to the smokem chassis, the shape ist nearly identical, but also the price is not much different. So it may be a question of personal preference...

Now that the original tamiya 417V5 spare parts are becoming available i ordered a 417V5 upper deck and will combine it with the smokem chassis. I hope it'll work well together. One reason I wanted to try this is, that the new upper deck is narrower at the front, where the steering link from the servo "crosses under" (sorry for my english) it. So I can use a longer servo arm / saver.

Christian