R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 09:01 AM
hacker07
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by weavty1
You know, I was building up new TLR option shocks this weekend for my SCTE (which are the exact same as what come with the 2.0 kit) and I was sorely disappointed at the quality of the pistons, o-rings, and shock bottoms... After three go-arounds with just one shock and constant leaking from the bottom, I gave up.

Now I've built and rebuilt probably hundreds of shocks over the years.. This was the worst experience I ever had.

Upon closer inspection, the pistons I wanted to use (#3 and #4's) were all warped which caused the piston to hang in some spots travelling up and down inside the shock body. But what caused the leaking was that the o-rings that come with the rebuild kits, are about 0.5mm larger in ID than the shock shaft-itself (Shock shaft outside diameter is approximately 3.5mm and o-ring inside diameter is 4.0mm).

I ended up going with TLR22 #54 pistons and TLR22 low-friction shock o-rings, instead. Problem solved.... until I realized that one of the four shock bottoms, had a larger hole with an inside diameter of nearly 5.0mm, which was more than 0.5mm larger than the other shock bottoms. That one shock almost drained completely of oil after a little over 2 hours of sitting in my shock stand. Now I've got to order a complete extra Shock Plastics set, just for one that was manufactured properly.....

It's not that difficult, guys.. But what a disappointing weekend I had, with that problem. Ridiculous.

Just a little heads-up for everyone.
As mentioned earlier on the older thread...there was a batch of rebuild kits that had the DIFF O-RINGS in them instead of the x-ring type shock o-rings in them. They look completely different. It sounds as though you got those. Give CS a call and they will get you taken care of. I apologize for this.