R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team C 1/8 GT car
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 11:48 AM
MantisWorx
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default Update on developments

I have the short chassis conversion in route from China but may have to run the long for the SW series coming up in a few weeks so I need to get it handling right just in case i do not get my parts in time!
One of the things i noticed right before i left to Florida is that with the rear toe blocks in the middle i had 8* of toe in?? so i rigged up the spacers to give me 4.5* but that was still too much. So I redrew the assembly in CAD and figured out the the FR block is .5mm to short per side!! IF any of you have a setup station please verify this. Next step was to machine a new block with proper dimensions, and now i have exactly 3* of toe with the spacers in the middle which means i can go less if needed.

Another issue i was having is chassis flex from the chassis being so long. it would flex in between the braces and make the car hop really bad as the grip got higher, it got bad enough that i actually snapped a front driveshaft from traction hop! There are a few things causing this to happen. One is the fore mentioned chassis flex second is the fact that the arms are made for off road thus they need to flex to keep from breaking. Down side to this is that in on road racing since there is so much grip the arms would actually twist and snap back which also makes it hard to stay consistent . My cure for this is arm braces screwed to the bottom of the arms! while installing these braces i also notice that the arms were slightly "bowed" which makes it hell to keep your ride height constant. This is now fixed:

Ok so now thats figured out, i decided to basically go back to the stock setup except for remove the rear sway bar, Serpent white front springs, shocks all the way down in front , up in rear on the tower and ride height at 8.5 f/r. we are still discussing options for changes with Team C so not sure if we will go with current shocks and upgrade spring kits or go with short shocks all the way around and utilize Serpent size springs but maybe come out with spring rates in between. The results of these changes are promising! most noticeable thing about the braces (arm and chassis) is that on exit the car is smoother and more predictable. I spent all day tuning the engine and testing Merlin fuel(EXCELLENT stuff!) and made no changes to the setup which was my intent. I think with only a few minor roll center adjustments it can be quicker! Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tXHoR6XP6w