R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New to R/C Racing
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 AM
adamym
Tech Apprentice

Just to put my 2 cents in. For the novice class it will be run what you got. Some tracks even have you qualify to be in the stock classes or mod classes.

Mainly it'll be up to you to determine if your ready to step up into the any of the other classes. I actually never got to race a novice class mainly because the novice class was filled with short course trucks and I had a buggy. It was just learning racer's etiquette to keep other racer's happy.

In respect to electronics lasting the year or not, most esc's and motors will last without a question. The more questionable electronics are the radio and receiver. Most of the radios and/or receivers that come with the ready to run vehicles are pretty much the absolute cheapest radio system that you can get. I've seen the Team Associated radio system go out in a day. The traxxas receivers break ridiculously easy. Other cheap brand radios don't have the latency to actually let you drive your car. For example, when you want to turn left and you turn the wheel to the left, it takes the car an extra second before the car actually wants to turn.

Once you get into the hobby I suggest learning how to build kits, and prefer kits over race rollers or ready to run models. This way you learn about the car's mechanics as well as becoming proficient at assembling and disassembling the car without question.

For any RTR setup, go through the entire car and check all of the parts and screws. For better response from an rtr setup you'll want to upgrade the radio system and servo for maximum effect and find the correct tires to match the surface your driving on.

There's definitely a lot to take in, but just take one step at a time, never be afraid to ask the local racers about tips and tricks that will help you on your way to becoming a racer. More times than not they are always going to be willing to help you out.