R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New to R/C Racing
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 10:00 AM
aniedert36
Tech Rookie

Default New to R/C Racing

Hello All,

This is my first post and I tried to do a little research before posting, but haven't quite found what I am looking for.

My brother and I have been racing karts for 10 years, but have decided to hang up the helmet.... Instead, we would like to try our hand at RC racing. The reason is mostly the cost of kart racing (not that RC racing is undeniably cheaper), but now we can also get our dad in to racing. He's a little bigger of a guy and wouldn't be competitive in the karts.

We plan on running a electric short course trucks (at least eventually). More than likely we will run 4x4, but haven't ruled out a 2wd as it is the most popular at my local track.

My questions are:
1.) Are we even allowed to jump right into the SC trucks, or do we need to run some sort of novice class first? Does a novice class require a specific vehicle and/or motor?

2.) What can I expect from my fellow racers in terms of competitiveness, helpfulness, attitude towards the newb, etc.

3.) What sorts of spares should we carry? We know we are going to break stuff, but what are the most common parts broke?

4.) We would want keep our electronics decent shape for at least 3/4 - 1year, so what sort of temps should we be running for a little more durable motor/esc but still be fairly competitive?

5.) We are going to mostly be concerned with turning decent, clean laps before upgrading the trucks, but is there anything I should upgrade or be concerned about immediately?

6.) What is the on track etiquette? We have a good feel for the karts, but maybe RC is different while running on the track.

7.) Race format? In karts we ran two heats and a feature with field inversion for the first two heats? We also ran caution laps and a rolling start. I have noticed that RC racing doesn't look to do the same thing. It appears to be based more on time and how many laps you can complete. Is there a standard format? Or does it depend on the local raceway? We do plan on going to ask several of these questions to the local tracks within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for reading my post and answering. If you have any other suggestions for a new guy or even want to reflect on the first time you raced, I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks!