R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - How to properly charge and discharge a battery
Old 01-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Night
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jlaudiosw7
Can someone tell me the proper way to charge and discharge a battery? my battery is a SMC Lightning Volts 4000mAH 3.7v 14.8 Wh battery. I have a Thunder Power TP1430C charger on it. The battery seems to rest at 4.20 volts fully charged and others seem to rest at 4.22 or higher and sometimes after alot of runs my car seems to just be slow even after full charges. I was told i need to discharge the battery sometimes and im not really sure how to properly do it as i was told there is a cycle to it. Any help will be appriciated i am new to the rc sport and currently run in the carpet oval 17.5 jr truck class with a Team Associated 10R5. Thanks in advance!
Assuming its a Li-po they don't really need to be cycled, my brand new li-po only goes to 4.21V per cell when fully charged.

More so cycling is just a waste of pack life. How many cycles have you roughly had on it and have you ever drained it or damaged it?

Other wise you shouldn't exceed the 1C rating of the battery for charging for example your battery should be charged at more than 4 amps

Last edited by Night; 01-26-2013 at 09:13 PM.