R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 09:11 AM
FauxMako
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Weird little problem: When trying to fit a 2002 Mini shell to either an M03 or 04 chassis, I find the rear tires always rub, unless the body is jacked up like a 4x4. My next idea was to try some 4mm wheel hexes to tuck the rear tires in a bit. Somehow, they allow the centers of the wheels to move inwards enough that they bind on the bit of the rear upright that surrounds the bearing. I'm using some old TL01/M03 rear toe in uprights.

So, I'm trying to figure out how you guys have dealt with this situation. Can the body be made to fit easily over the wheels? I've heard about heating it up to massage the shape, but I've wrecked a body trying it. Can 4mm hexes be made to work in this situation? Maybe with a different set of uprights?

And...go!
Had the same problem. 4mm hexes caused the wheel to rub the upright. I ended up using 4mm hexes with .5mm spacers to get rid of the rub. Once the wheels/tires get a little closer to "done" I'm going to try to grind down the hex on the wheel a little and see if I can make it work with just the 4mm hex.