R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)
Old 01-24-2013, 01:53 PM
gmackhurry
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F>T>R
About how many weeks should you be able to run before you need to rebuilt the TLR ball diff?
For me it depends on motor size and how loose you need the ball diff to champion the track.

If your clutch can over power the ball diff and your ball diff barks on high torque then it won't last at all.

If you adjust your clutch to slip before the ball diff does then it will last a very long time.

6.5 turn motor, tight turn track loose ball diff = not good.
6.5 turn, open track big sweeps tighter ball diff = many weeks.
10.5 turn, open track big sweeps = a long long time.

It all depends...

If I could suggest a tedious task that is typically brushed off because most have low to no patients - after building a fresh ball diff start out with it tight and assure yourself the motor and clutch are not going to make it slip. And then start backing it off untill you're happy with the cornering and straights. Don't forget to back your clutch off so it always slips before the ball diff slips.

I will no longer run a ball diff with my 6.5 redline because my driving style and need for short burst blast offs will destroy the ball and race contact point quickly. So I use a gear diff with a 6.5. And since I'm a one track racer it is easy to find a likable diff oil weight, fill it and forget it. Now I use the gear diff on my 10.5 motor with 10k oil in it and I'm happy.