R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho v-one rrr
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2004, 08:07 PM
rcosmax
Tech Adept

Initial d
In regards to (Rear) traction that is what I had always thought, but someone explained it to me a different way that seemed to make sense in theroy regarding roll center/width/traction. I cant begin to do this justice cause I dont really understand it(this is how it was explained to me), but please help me get through this.

if you have a wide wheel base the lateral load placed on the tire/tirewall is less than if you have a narrower wheel base. As the car (rolls) more lateral load is placed on the tire. with a narrow width more lateral load/pressure is placed on the tire and therefore more traction. A wider wheel base will give more lateral stability but less traction.

when the car has body roll it has more traction than if it is sliding around the corners with little roll. If you think of traction in terms of roll then less width is good up until the point you start traction rolling.

now i guess i still havent answered your question. and i cant really because the two front and rear traction are connected. Increasing one will change the other aswell. so an increase in rear traction will result in a decrease in front traction( to a lesser degree).

experts please please correct me. (didnt mean to turn this into the endless roll center debate sorry) my fingers hurt.