R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC
Old 01-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Paul L
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Tekin Prodigy
Hey Paul, I wanna pick your brain a little bit. On some setup sheets your consistant with your droop setting (ie: 3mm over ride hieght all the way around on asphalt) but some sheets you might run 5mm front 3mm rear or visa versa. Would you mind explaining what makes you decide to run more front, rear or both? Furthermore, when going to a new track, carpet or asphalt, what is your common starting point? Thank you very much. Chad
Hi Chad. 2.5-3mms above ride height is pretty standard for me. so that is where i would start at a new track, carpet or asphalt. I will say that i think the rear droop can be more important than front droop in terms of steering and overall ballance. i will tune the overall steering of the car with rear droop, 1.5-2mms being the most rear traction, 4mms being the most steering, anything outside the window of 1.5-4mms above ride height is not good for the rear in any scenario. Lately i have been finding that front droop dose not really give a huge difference in steering balance but it does in the way the front rolls. it seems like more front droop kinda rolls up and over more and less forces the car to roll down and in to the track more.
Im not saying it is right for all scenarios but In my latest set up I ran a lot of front droop for two reasons, one to keep the nose of the car from dragging on the track as much (rolled more up and over), 2 because in modified with the super soft oil (300cst 4hole) while accelerating hard the droop would really top out hard and i could feel it on the track, running a lot more droop stopped that from happening. so it is possible that as backwards as it sounds that with a thinner front oil set up you may need to run more front droop.
Obviously this is all subject to change though .

Thanks

Originally Posted by rosko
Whats the difference in feel of anti-dive using low rc in ff and mid rc in fr vs. Mid rc ff vs. High rc fr
Hi. with this you will want to eliminate the variable of your camber link, so if you do it you will want to take camber gain into consideration and get the inner camber link shimmed to where it would still be the same distance from the lower pin in both cases. if you adjust for that you should notice that when running the antidive overall higher you will have less front end roll. On carpet it would likely be more steering but less forward traction, On asphalt it would be kinda up in the air as to weather you would get more steering or not, but less roll none the less.

Thanks