R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Associated RC 12 R5.2
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 PM
AdrianM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
adrian, i took a break for a while too, curious as to your tire saucing and cleaning ritual, it took me half a season to realize that what we used to do does not work anymore! it was a very frustrating few months... car changed handling characteristics 4 times in 8 minutes i can laugh now but it wasnt funny when it was happening
1/12, Magenta/Magenta, SXT 3.0, Sauce 1/2 inner front 10min, full rear 20min.

My local track has a lot of SXT 3.0 in it and groves up to med/high traction even with a small turnout. Tires come off gummy/sludgy after a run.

Some guys do nothing, some guys use painters tape to get take off any particles.

I like my WGT best when I clean the tires with zippo lighter fluid to take all the gunk off after a run, let them dry and sauce 1/3 of the front and full rear for 5 min before a run. I will also check all of the front suspension in case anything has shifted.

On my 1/12 I tried the same process and the rear would get loose.

Then I tried not cleaning...no change

Then I started saucing the rears 2x as long as the front 10 min and 20 min+. This planted the rear better but I could still feel it turned harder to the left and pushed to the right.

Any suggestions?

I am 100% sure the car is not tweaked. I checked 3 different ways including bumping the beam on a tweak station to make sure the bubble returned the same in both directions.

The bearings are all good, I stripped the rear pod down to the plate and checked the pivots and pod alignment. Everything is free and smooth.

All I can think is its a balance and asymmetrical side spring preload issue.

I am going to redo the electronics tonight and move things around/add weight until its balanced. Then I'll see what happens next Wednesday.