R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies TCXX
Thread: Hot Bodies TCXX
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Fred Hubbard
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dog Bone
Well, I've just installed a diff in my TCXX stock car - 500K oil, with the old pro-4 steel dog bones. I had to grind out the outdrives so the pro-4 pins would fit; that was easy to do. To ensure that the edges of the outdrive 'teeth' remained square, I tapes some sandpaper to a thin steel ruler, and rubbed the outdrive teeth on the sandpaper, making sure I ground each side evenly. Only took about 5 minutes per outdrive to get them to fit.

No more 'clicking' sounds from the car, since I'm no longer using the 'loose' spool. We'll see how it performs on Friday when I take it to the track.

500k in the diff *may* be too light; the last time I ran a diff in the front was on my TC6, and we filled that diff with blue-tac. It was quite a bit stiffer. I know that Hudy has released 1M weight diff oil, but I think blue-tac may be ticket.

Time will tell!
So that you are aware, for any car that uses a spool and standard drive shafts there will be chatter. It's only after you use DCJ's with a spool that this chatter goes away. I've heard that it's less pronouced when running standard drive shafts with a gear diff as well but I don't have 1st hand knowledge of this since I always run DCJ's but I assume it to be true based upon what you reported. Our spool is designed to be loose to dissipate some of the energy that causes chatter when running it with standard drive shafts.