R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - O.S. SPEED Tuned 21XZ-R
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Rick Vessell
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
OK, well i am close , there is about 3.5mm of "polish" on the liner and with ARO i can turn it over with no plug but with the plug in its still pretty tight. a couple of tanks and i should be there. what are your thoughts on the third needle? Also how does this engine like to be geared? I can let it wind out or i can lug it, this track has a 300' straight? I had first gear really low on break in and it would blister the tires with anything over 50% throttle coming out of the turns, but didnt get a chance to test second gear and its been raining so I am pretty much going to have to dial it in at the track when i get to Florida.
Uriah is correct, you need to run it in more for it to be fully broken in. The fit on these is very snug when new so take your time and don't lean it too much. Top speed will come when it's broken in.

As for the 'third needle', leave it alone. Unless you have a great deal of tuning experience it's easy to get way off with settings when you start moving it.

The 'third needle' is actually the spray bar that the low speed needle goes into at idle and low speed. It also controls overall metering due to it's position in the venturi. They are set at the factory and any adjustment to them at the track is slight and has to be coupled with adjusting the other needles as well.

Keep the gearing conservative until it's broken in. Once it's freed up, you can let it rev more on the straight.