R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
hey grandpa thanks

the car is a swb but will move to mwb for the race i think as my home track is tight and technical but the ther track where the race is is bigger open and flowing , and of coarse it is carpet ;-) at the moment here in NL there is snow on the ground outside so indoors at the moment

did look towards tweek , altered the shock preload and this helped emensly but i am interested in your Detweeking procedure
Before we do the tweak procedure, the status of the #1016 premounts is this. I managed to talk to Fred Medel today at the track, and my understanding is that the components are here and off to be glued. The ETA is about 1 month before the retailers will have them. Apparently there are two suppliers/makers of the S Grips and that there may have been a difference between the two.

A tweak station may be better, but this works for me. First set your ride height and whatever else you can set like the TX trim to zero. Set with the shock collars even. Locate and mark the midpoint of the chassis. Lift the car at that point with an X-acto or a small round rod or even an allen driver. One tire will lift off the table before the other. Go diagonally across the car and screw that shock collar down and/or raise the shock collar on the same side. If you're checking from the rear of the car, you adjust the shock collars on the front. You have to go up on one and down on the other or you will change the ride height. Turn the car around and do the other end.

There are a couple of things to be aware of though. Your shocks must smoothly fully extend w/out binding or this won't work. Have the car ready to run with the battery installed and hooked up. It will change your steering trim and you should reset you steering linkages rather than banging in a bunch of trim. The first time you do this, it takes a bit of time cause you have to fiddle with the steering linkage. Subsequent times only take a few minutes.

I have a board with leveling screws and 4 small scales, which can be placed under each wheel. I rarely use it now cause the above procedure gets it pretty close.

Last edited by Granpa; 01-12-2013 at 06:43 PM. Reason: addition of one word