R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - savage xs
Thread: savage xs
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 03:44 PM
tksnobords
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

i am welcoming myself to the savage xs owner's club. just ordered a new RTR...the waiting game is killing me lol. what do you guys recommend i do to upgrade it? please post links to products if you don't mind.

so far i know....

- i read a lot about the ESC's going up in smoke. i assume this is from overheating. since the fan is built in, is there any way to provide additional cooling for the esc? such as replacing the fan or adding an additional fan?

- the servo is weak as hell so i know i'll need to upgrade that.

- the turnbuckles need to be upgraded. i think i have some spares from my hpi blitz so i will see if those fit. otherwise i read the traxxas 2334 set will work right? here's the link.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Turnbuckles-2

- a couple guys on here talked about shimming the gears in the diffs...??? how much play is too much in the diff's? anyone have pictures of which gears they shimmed?
Originally Posted by IH8VTEC
I went ahead and shimmed the diffs. The front one had a ton of slop. I used hpi 5x10x.5 washer shims. On the front I used one behind the cone gear and two behind the output cup. The rear was much better and may not have required any shims. I didn't need to put one behind the cone gear just one behind the output cup. The difference between the front and rear is huge. I went looking through the manual thinking I mixed up or missed parts. I'm going to take the front apart again and measure some stuff. For now everything is good and all the gears look ok.
- what fluid weights do you guys run in the diffs and shocks...and how do you like it vs what else you have tried?

- what else should i start doing to the truck?