R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI WR8 Flux/Ken Block H.F.H.V. Rally Car Thread
Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 AM
njnjperson
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by macnkitty2002
Wow man, what are you doing to your car?! I've only put about 10 packs through mine so far, and I'm not exactly gentle with it either, but jeeeeeeeeeeeez what the heck are you doing LOL! Are you hitting a bunch of stuff because I don't see much damage occurring from pavement/grass running. For instance the rock guards, how on earth are you breaking those?

Anyways, I do agree that the parts availability does seem limited. Although I'm going to try using the HPI part numbers as search criteria instead of using "HPI WR8 parts" in my searches. Hoping the direct part numbers will help yield better results.

Yah, I've utterly abused the thing.

I'm basically driving a large L shaped circuit that involves my driveway -> a low speed speed drift into the threshold of my neighbors driveway -> a bumpy sidewalk segment -> small jump back to the street -> short straight acceleration into a 60% throttle @ 3s turn at the street intersection -> a quick burst down the street straightaway at 70% full throttle -> into my driveway -> sharp turn and then back out again to my neighbors driveway.

Goofing any of the turns can result in violent WR8 abuse. The most menacing offenders are three street signs along the bumpy sidewalk and curbs made of Belgian blocks. The street signs killed two of my rock guards.

I think the rear shock body gave up the ghost when it launched it off the lip of a parking shallow garage ramp at 80% 3s throttle and proceeded to tumbled under & through a parked car.

I also drove it in snow & dirt, followed by a regimen of air compressor cleaning and fan drying. Now that I'm learning more about this, it probably wasn't enough. Driving in the wet like that requires a more comprehensive level of care for the bearings.

It's also running about 30F to 45F around these parts, so the plastics are definitely more brittle than they were during the early fall temps.

Yep, if you stay on grass and dirt like most normal people the car should be fine.