R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/8th Nitro On-Road - Edam Razor
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 AM
hitcharide1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hm

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
Good to see some more fresh faces running Edam, would love to see some more people running and chatting on here about the Spirit Tourer.
Edam is a viable option. It's not any more durable than the others...all of 'em seem to self destruct on certain impacts, and I don't know of any car with a sufficiently durable front hub assembly (tho I'm working on getting some quality aluminum pieces made up for that issue. That said, Edam is a LOT cheaper. I'm selling cars and parts at not much above cost, partly because I love playing with the toys more than I love money, but partly because I think it's a crime what some stuff sells for. And at my level of driving, it wouldn't make much sense anyhow. I suspect that Capricorn is the best quality product made; it also carries an extremely high price for the car and parts. I wouldn't mind paying more for a car up front if I knew it was going to save me money over the long haul (like Delta was back in the day, it was the most expensive car on the market, but it was unbreakable...which is why I still run my SuperJ.) But at a race last year, I saw a guy with a Serpent whack a board and completely detach the entire left rear hub and arms. I've seen nearly every other car do the same exact thing at some point, and a LOT of the parts on the cars are interchangable (Edam and Shepard, for example, have a ton of interchangable parts...which leads me to wonder if everything isn't made in the same factory.) But the price difference between cars and parts is just ridiculous. For me, Edam is an economic move. If I hit nothing, nothing breaks, so I save money on the kit. If something breaks, I've saved money on the replacement parts. Too many of us have mortgages, kids in college, etc., to the point where we can't afford to piss away money on toys...and at the same time, we deserve a little fun without having to "rob Peter to pay Paul."

When I first showed up at a club race this year with my Razor2, a few people (being charitable) claimed my car was a crappy cheap knockoff of others and wouldn't perform. As the year went on and I started putting together some decent runs, I heard less and less of that. I managed to win my main at the GLC, which I thought wasn't half bad for a guy just back in the hobby after being gone for 27 years, running a 125 dollar SH engine. Everyone should get the car that fits them best, and whatever product someone has, if they are happy with it, they should stay with it, but we need every financial option we can get in this day and age, and I have no complaints with the way I'm going.