R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CSeils
I am in a quandary about my set up.

I have an M03 long wheel base. When I am at full throttle on the straight - transitioning into a right hand turn sweeper, the inside wheels want to lift and makes the car wobble. I already have the front tires glues on the first tread to fight traction rolling. Everywhere else the car seems to be good.

How do i keep the car planted without letting up too much on the throttle?

Set up :
Front -
60 wt
2 hole piston
6mm internal spacer
Yellow spring
Sway bar
S-grip, first tread glued - hard inserts
1-2° toe out
Ball diff - tight
Kimbrough servo saver - Large

Rear -
40wt
2 hole piston
4mm internal spacer
White spring
Sway bar
A tire - Hard inserts
3° toe in

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
You left out the single most important piece of information needed. What kind of track and track surface do you run on. Just guessing but, it looks as if you run on hi grip carpet.

Just a very general critique is all I can give you. It looks as if you have been fighting a traction rolling problem and have gone the wrong way. Your set up is way too stiff, which is what most people do to their set ups. Also a stiff car needs a lot of rear toe in and a ton of front toe out.

You might try this. Go much softer on the springs. Use 3 hole pistons and start with 40wt. oil. Shocks should be no shorter than 57mm measured fully extended and outside to outside. Lose the front roll bar and use the small roll bar in the rear. If you can, use a little less toe out and go to 1.5 or 2.0 rear uprights. Run your car at 5mm ride height or less and run the rear 1mm lower than the front. Also try a little less tight ball diff----tight diffs are only for the extremely talented. I only know of 2, maybe 3 guys who have the reflexes and skill to get the most from a very tight diff. Mere mortals should stay with a medium stiff diff.

You have a number of things working against each other in your present set up. You can get a uber stiff set up like yours to work, but it's usually slower in lap times. I realize that what I'm suggesting is 180 degrees off from the direction you're going, but you might try this if you're lost.