R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Reviving older NiMh Batteries
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 05:23 AM
terry.sc
Tech Master

Originally Posted by $$$...
I can't remember when I used them last, and when I try to charge them they start, and then after a few minutes they cut-off. I know that the most likely answer is going to be bin them, and I'm quite prepared to do so, just wondering if anyone has any old school tips for reviving them... trickle charge for hours then try to cycle them???
it depends on the nimh, some makes can be brought back to life, some struggled to last a whole seasons racing before having to be binned. I regularly use old nimhs for bashing every year and after being left over winter they usually need a few cycles to come back to life. If they can be brought back a long trickle charge will stabilise the voltage so your charger can then monitor the cells when being charged as the battery voltage is too low for your charger. If they do recover they will need a few cycles before you can see how much power they have.

If the cells are dead, you still don't have to spend on lipos and all the equipment to go with them. Nimhs are still around, still the most popular battery packs amongst non racers. Because racers don't use them any more decent nimhs are available for $20-30 a pack. It can be hard to find saddle pack nimhs, but www.cheapbatterypacks.com will happily build them for you.